2012/12/05

A Twill Tape Measure, an Audiotape Cassette Unspooled and Puckering, Shining



Advice sought: I've a boatload of cassettes on shelves in my basement. All are at least twenty years old, most more. I've copied to CD most of those I knew I wanted to carry forward a long time ago, but I was browsing the crates over the weekend and discovered many that I mehhed once but want now - EIEOU, remember them? for instance, Soup Dragons? I put one tape into a player and SNAP! I put a second into a player and SNAP! Am I well and truly fucked? most if not all probably gone? I do have access to a university library's media center and their state of the art equipment. Advice?











LINE POEM

Caroline Knox

Long jetty, long shell-racked jetty, cracked warped planks.

Beautiful fish, beautiful sea-bass poached with an August tomato, on
     an ironstone plate.

A snake's slough, a snake's spinal cord, a dry-rot stump.

A twill tape measure, an audiotape cassette unspooled and puckered,
     shining.

Agate prayer beads, kazoos, whistles, rattles.

A bike-chain and a bungy cord.  A moebius strip and a broccoli elastic.

Split vanilla pod inset with paltry-looking flat oily brown seeds.

Egg-and-dart molding of vitreous fake sandstone.  Contrails, mares' tails,
     mackerel sky
.