2013/09/20

the vet who dissected the priest’s dog believes that the cause of death was probably a stone on the head



   
  • Friend :-P asked me if I remembered the band Insides, especially their album Euphoria, and I had a vague memory of the name but had forgotten the music, so thanks for reminding me!
  • Wanted to bump a photo by Earthgirl, this past Sunday morning at 7:45 on Grove Church Road between Sycamore and Deal Roads, Martinsburg Ohio, but no doubt - and I mean no doubt - user error fucked up something here design-wise (it involved a missing div-tag, I think), and oh well, one step-back for every one step-forward plus a stumble toward Fuck It and Fuck This.
  • When I typed div-tag in this and the above sentence and blogger went to auto-save I got the blooger pink-bar of accusatory you fucked up you fucking moron. Forgave me both times.
  • Is there a sense of optimism two years after Occupy? I'm sorry, but I'm a pessimist. I think a momentary braking on the overlords rush to extract the most rents possible of an increasingly burdensome citizenry might - might -  be happening now that the citizenry has noticed the brazen bloodsucking, but I see overlords poking until the living meat squealed, now is a pause for reassessment, that's all. The police will continue militarizing in the meantime.
  • Jeremy Scahill interview: Jeremy Scahill, an investigative foreign correspondent whose first documentary, “Dirty Wars,” opens Friday, writes for The Nation and achieved his biggest success with “Blackwater,” a best-selling book critiquing security contractors hired by the George W. Bush administration. Neither of which keeps him from being labeled a right-wing stooge by detractors. “Most of my hate mail nowadays comes from liberals, not conservatives,” he said
  • Scahill has more faith in people than I do: I don’t have any illusions about Congress changing things, but I have faith in people. If we debate about this in our society, Congress will be forced to do something about it. If we embrace assassination as a central component of our foreign policy and continue with the mentality that we can kill our way to victory — or worse, kill our way to peace — then we’re whistling past the graveyard
  • A heart-warming letter: “Some media outlets have sensationalized the leaks to the press in a way that has called into question our motives and wrongly cast doubt on the integrity and commitment of the extraordinary people who work here at NSA/CSS—your loved one(s),” the letter suggests. “It has been discouraging to see how our Agency frequently has been portrayed in the news as more of a rogue element than a national treasure.” 
  • But yes, the NSA will weather the storm, quite nicely in fact.
  • A criminal -justice journalism manifesto





   
  • Best instant pun of yesterday: I retweeted this tweet which read The Silver Line is nearing completion, but won't take passengers until February and within seconds blogbud Philip tweeted back: Not every silver line has a crowd.
  • This week in water
  • White Oak! Hamster emails: This is in Ol’ Hamster’s back yard. Well, the strip shopping center where the dude squeezed off 8-9 shots lies between this and Percontee Land. That undeveloped land was  great to (illegally) walk through, especially if it was snowing. I guess this will transition the local traffic from Percontee cement mixers and dump truck to your average Beltway-Type sprawl traffic. It’s the new Silicon Valley! Can’t wait!!
  • You have pissed your life
  • The evolution of useless things.
  • Frank O'Hara, for those of us who do.
  • I confess I've never heard of Icelandic novelist/poet Sjón. It's nice to have access to a university library stacks. I just recalled a book from Mr Alarum.
  • A twelve-hour blind date w/Dostoyevsky.
  • Heninen/Hakola/Kurtag/Koshinen: String Quartets





   
stones

Sjón

i’ve been hit on the head by a stone – my ex-wife has been hit on the head
by a stone in my presence – my old school friend has been hit on the head
by a stone – at noon today i saw a colleague hit on the head
by a stone – i saw a cat avoid a stone that was aimed straight at
its head – i saw a stone come through the kitchen window and land on
the cook’s head – i saw a bull die within quarter of an hour of
being hit on the head by a stone – the vet who dissected the priest’s dog
believes that the cause of death was probably a stone on
the head – the eldest son of a peasant on the farm where i grew up was hit on
the head by a stone and died – i encountered four stones in the main street yester-
day and three the day before – i am corresponding with members of the mineralogical
society in london – when they read my reports of
icelandic stones they doubt that they would survive one day in
reykjavík – i replied that I’m still hanging on so educated
men like them ought to be safe here too