2013/04/21

A Miner's Canary Caught in a Mousetrap, or: Fifty-Four Today; Sixty-Seven Today




Robert Smith was born fifty-four years ago today. All songs via Mr Alarum, he is/was a far bigger Cure fan than me if for no greater reason than Mr Alarum has a full head of hair (I've had the same haircut for thirty years) and better make-up skills than me, even the me of 1983 who couldn't have made myself look like Smith even had I tried.





The Cure hasn't aged well for me, or perhaps more accurately put, I haven't aged well for The Cure. If I had been told in 1983 that in 2013 I'd be listening to Buckingham/Nicks era Fleetwood Mac more than The Cure, the 1983 me, who had The Cure on the daily soundtrack and pretended to a deep disdain for Mac, would have laughed in disbelief. Still, they were on the daily soundtrack for at least a decade.





  • This is true, Earthgirl and Planet can vouch, when we were on our San Francisco/NoCal vacation during 2008 Spring Break, Bill Clinton was holding some bullshit Democratic think-tank money-maker that all the media flew out to cover, and on our flight home was CNN's John King and the chronically fuckwadding Chris Matthews. Forgive me, I did not highjack the plane and crash it into the Rockies, nor have I run the motherfucker down on Nebraska or Massachusetts Avenue nor shivved him in Wagshals when he's waiting for a brisket sandwich. I haven't even told him he's a fuckwad. Yes, this is one of my favorite gags.
  • Another old gag I haven't use for a while (maybe as long as this guy has been off-blog - welcome back): buying islands in Micronesia with no extradition treaties with U.S.
  • American Liberalism is fucked.
  • One the front page of Your Fucking Washington Post as I type this Sunday morning there are six lead stories and multiple bullets about the Boston bombing, not a single headline about the corporate bombing that wiped out a Texas city.
  • Oligarghs standing on the deck of the Titanic.
  • The Five Day War.
  • Black and tan. No, I don't think so, no, I won't say no.
  • Thought control and cynicism.
  • OK, this is my favorite Cure song:

   
    
      




    POST-LIVES THERAPY

    Charles Simic

    They explained to me the bloody bandages
    On the floor in the maternity ward in Rochester NY,
    Cured the backache I acquired bowing to my old master,
    Made me stop putting thumbtacks around my bed.

    They showed me an office on horseback,
    Waving a sabre next to a burning farmhouse
    And a barefoot woman in a nightgown,
    Throwing stones after him and calling him Lucifer.

    I was a straw-headed boy in patched overalls.
    Come dark a chicken would roost in my hair.
    Some even laid eggs as I played my ukelele
    And my mother and father crossed themselves.

    Next, I saw myself inside an abandoned gas station
    Constructing a spaceship out of a coffin,
    Red traffic cone, cement mixer and ear warmers,
    When a church lady fainted seeing me in my underwear.

    Some days, however, they opened door after door,
    Always to a different room, and could not find me.
    There'd be only a small squeak now and then,
    As if a miner's canary caught in a mousetrap.