2012/11/08

An Erratic Flying Ruby, Asking for Sweets Among the Sticky-Throated Flowers




Friends analog and digital directed me to this Ta-Nahasi Coates column on the scope of "one of the most progressive nights in American history, and arguably the most progressive night in American history in some 40 years.." From a social issues point of view, I see his point, I said, but can we listen to some very good music and read some smart opinions and some very good poems while I marinate a d(ec)a(de)y in my complicity's stomach acids before we start jabbing and smacking each other on a car trip from hell from now to 2016 please? No? I can't either, but Irwin played that Mekons song above yesterday, it's not zombie-pandering, but sure, it can be if you want it be, I think we can at least all agree no one can have enough Mekons. Yes?






  • The question, of course, is does a move to the left on social issues drag the Democratic Party in general and Obama in particular to the left on economic issues re: Corporate and issues of privacy and police state and war? Is the argument that the social move need come first or is that move sufficient unto itself as the most that's attainable (and most essential)?
  • Status quo.
  • Hangover.
  • That didn't take long.
  • The real winner.
  • Of course he will.
  • Of course they will. When you see me ask me to tell you the story of a conversation I had at Illtopsay yesterday I don't want to relate here for reasons that will be obvious once you hear the story.
  • Related, it's not power, it's power in service of a theology. All visa versas apply, of course.
  • If I was Chris Christie I'd double my bodyguard protection.
  • Speaking of Illtopsay conversations, a friend, a huge supporter of Elizabeth Warren who insistently reassures me of Warren's progressive credibility, told me that Warren could quickly become to the Democratic Left what Wellstone was, could in fact run in the 2016 primaries as the progressive candidate on the palette.
  • Of course they were. I never said Republicans aren't motherfuckers. 
  • YFWP brings the duh.





  • Romney camp retooling after latest setback.
  • OK, one tidbit: On the "revenge" remark, why would Obama use the word "revenge," it's evil. I said, the context was that voters could get revenge for being lied to in Romney's notoriously deceitful add about Jeeps and Japan. It wasn't deceitful, I was told, the liberal media lied that it was a lie. Also, Romney lost because he's too decent and honest a man who couldn't be a meanie like Obama.
  • I am delighted this motherfucker lost. Now if the Redskins never win again I'll be ecstatic.
  • The degradation of Third Party politics.
  • Celtic beating Barca made Rod Stewart cry. His music still sucks, but I now like the guy.
  • United's game postponed last night because of winter storm. United wanted to play - the field conditions would favor United, United outraged game not played, the field conditions would have hindered Metros, Metros pleased game not played, United fans outraged, Metro fans pleased, fine metaphors, as always, abounding.
  • It's 2012, why the fuck can't I watch the game on my computer?
  • Winner plays in Houston Saturday, gets home game next week.
  • Silliman's always awesome litlinks.
  • >>Deleted bleggalgaze<<
  • Is there gonna be a Zappadan this year? Haven't seen any rumblings, know it's still weeks away but.... 
  • Ok but not excellent Kate Bush cover
  • Mekons requests still solicited. Here are two from Destination Out (sorry, I couldn't find the third): Only Darkness Has the Power  &  Insignificance.
  • Your request here.






AFTER WORKING LONG ON ONE THING

Jane Kenyon

Through the screen door
I hear a hummingbird, inquiring
for nectar among the stalwart

hollyhocks - an erratic flying
ruby, asking for sweets among
the sticky-throated flowers.

The sky won't darken in the west
until ten. Where shall I turn
this light and tired mind?