2012/10/12

"Is It Lasting?" and in Asking the Sphere Becomes a Line


 

Jane Siberry is fifty-seven today. Her music is inextricably woven into my memories of my first years with Earthgirl, the concerts, listening to cassettes in Deale. Yes, there was a Thursday Night Pints, I'll tell you about it tomorrow perhaps, it was nice, lively, one could hear Biden snorting even with the volume of the TVs above the bar on mute. Have a few links, a poem, and two symphonies of Ralph Vaughan Williams who was born one hundred forty years ago today, the Fifth, written before World War Two, the Sixth, written after. Sorry about the commenting asses, worth suffering through briefly for the music.










TOO LATE

Gerald Stern

Too late now to look for houses
to give readings, to flirt, to eat blueberries,
to dance the polka - or just be in the
Serbian-American club in Duquesne
near that horrible McKeesport, near
that horrible Kennywood Park, and take
a sip, a bite, and half fall off my
stool, and grab her and whirl for fifteen
straight, or just to feel her breasts
against me and to loosen my tie,
my short and flowered tie, or just to
drive home slowly, sometimes even
on the streetcar tracks themselves.
that 68 trolley I loved so much, the
love seats and the rattling glass windows.