2012/01/24

Offer Your Usual Posy of Goatheads

I still haven't watched a GOP candidate debate (I'm told last night's was missing the Red Meat Glee Club in the audience, so it must really have sucked). I won't watch or listen to Emperor Obama's State of the Union, POTUS 12 edition, tonight, though the predictable keywords he'll use will have you drunk after ten minutes if you're Hi-Bobbing the speech, and the post-SOTU reaction from professional partisans to partisan fan clubs down to shitty bloggers, as we all inhabit precisely-enough the positions we all reflexively adopt, just as predictable. Witness this post.












DEAR DROUGHT

Amy Beeder

Offer your usual posy of goatheads. Proffer
sharp garlands of thistle & Inca's thin down;
of squash bugs strung on blighted stems; send

back necklaced every reeking pearl I crushed,

each egg cluster that I scraped away with knife
or twig or thumbnail. Wake me sweat-laced
from a dream of hidden stables: the gentle foals

atremble, stem-legged, long-neglected. Dear
drought our summer's corn was overrun again
with weed & cheat; the bitter zinnias fell to bits.

Dear yearlings our harvest is lattice & husk.